Monday, February 14, 2011

Academy Award Nominees - Short Form - Animation/Live

Weak year for the short fiction categories (what happens if there's a short animated documentary - what category is it in?). Usually it's the shorts that show the most imagination, but this year it might actually be the full length documentary category. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to see any of the short docs.
  • The Confession - very heavy handed and I felt cheated by this one.
  • The Crush - somewhat funny, but could have been better.
  • God of Love - I predict/hope this one wins. It at least showed some originality.
  • Na Wewe - OK. Sure.
  • Wish 143 - Almost had me.
Really, I only liked two of them, God of Love, and Wish 143, and GoL is the clear winner IMO. A lot of fun, a decent story, acting, great composition, etc.
  • Day & Night - Pixar - 2D characters who's outlines reveal the background - interesting idea, but I get the feeling I've seen the idea before.
  • The Gruffalo - somewhat dry tale of a mouse in the forest chasing away predators by telling them of The Gruffalo (ie. The Jabberwocky).
  • Let's Pollute - ironic message, pollution is fun.
  • The Lost Thing - I liked this one, great style, story just ok.
  • Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary) - great tale of a trip to Madagascar with great flipbook style.
Pixar doesn't need anymore Oscars, so I hope Madagascar wins.

No comments: