Sunday, April 22, 2007

Microsoft Becoming TV Producer?

From Wonderland is this post about a new contest to win a $100 K production budget for an Xbox Live six episode series. Pilots of five to fifteen minutes (live-action or animated or mixed) can be submitted by June 29th (with a $25 processing fee). The whole contest is in conjunction with the New York Television Festival where the winner will be screened (finalists will be shown on Xbox Live Marketplace).

I wonder when Valve will do the same with Steam? I wonder how much potential ad revenue there is for something like this to a company like Microsoft?

6 comments:

Ross Scott said...

"I wonder when Valve will do the same with Steam?"

Yeah, I wish...

bllius said...

Hmmm...does that mean you have inside information...or you just wish they would promote things like machinima? They do a fairly good job with mods for their existing products.

Ross Scott said...

I don't have inside information on anything that I can think of. I'm just saying I'm not optimistic about them promoting machinima, Microsoft has much deeper pockets than Valve.

But really what I was thinking of is that especially once I get my next two episodes out, I would be poised in an ideal position if Valve were to take this route since I've already started a series that in effect promotes their own product.

bllius said...

Have you contacted them?

Ross Scott said...

No, I'm waiting until I do 4 and 5, then I'm going to contact everyone I can think of for advice. I've kept in touch with Zachariah Scott (no relation) though, he did the Ballad of Black Mesa amongst other HL2 machinima and he apparently has had a lot of trouble getting any sort of response from Valve.

bllius said...

There was a discussion of this sort at the Machinima festival last year. Maybe it will be brought up again?