Monday, November 06, 2006

Another Federal Agency Enters Second Life

I was going to post some more thoughts about the machinima festival, but I caught this post on the Centers for Disease Control establishing a second life presence. That now makes a total of two federal agencies that have an SL presence (along with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - let's hope the IRS never finds out...shhh!).

I wonder how long it will be before the National Institutes of Health find out about this and make the move as well (note, both agencies are under the HHS umbrella- Health and Human Services). Put me down for 20 $L that they do it in the next 12 months.

Also, when will we see the first scientific conference held virtually in SL? I know there have been some webcast conferences, but as far as I know, nothing completely in a virtual world? Correct me if I'm wrong?

EDIT:

LOL, well that will teach me.
1. Apparently the Dept. of Homeland Security is already in SL. That's a year old post, so I'm definitely out of touch.
2. The NLM (National Library of Medicine) is helping to fund a library initiative of the Alliance Library System to provide consumer health information in SL. NLM is part of NIH, so I guess I win the bet? So that's now 4 agenices.
Alright, new bet. What will be the last federal agency to join SL?

No comments: